Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 66

Thread: NEW KEITH CARLOCK WEBSITE

  1. #51
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone has limits, there's no reason why we can't acknowledge them.

    Totally agree.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 28, 2004 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Steve Holmes ]</font>

  2. #52
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    One's opinion of what another player's limits are is just that- another opinion...fair to say?

    My opinion is based on going to school with Keith AND living in NYC, seeing him play all the time. I would never try to sway one's opinion of a musician(after all, art is subjective), but I will defend someone if I don't think the facts are being presented. But I'm done talking about this. Same planet, different worlds. Thanks for confirming this by saying that Ed Soph is not a jazz drummer...

  3. #53
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *phew*

    Those Oz Noy clips...i listened to the mp3s, but not the vids...from what I heard, i enjoyed...so I can't comment on how he looks or posture [to me, i could care less how a cat looks...but Vinnie & Dave look real cool of course!! [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] ]...AFA striclty DRUMMERS as drummers go, no, he's not a DiCenso, Weckl, or Vinnie [not many are!], but i thought the Noy clips were fine...hey, he's w Sting & Dan, & I'm not! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Never heard him play swing/jazz, so I'll reserve comment...but I don't see anything wrong w what I've heard...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 28, 2004 03:34 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  4. #54
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    Flarobstix- I have to ask: In what context did you see Keith soloing and not following the form? Curious...

  5. #55
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the Oz Noy live cd and I think both Keith and Anton sound great on it. But I thought Keith sounded great on the newest Steely cd too.

  6. #56
    Inactive Member GrooovePig's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    163
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SDK:
    [QB]gonnacockass,

    You're very right in so many ways.
    ===========================================

    I know this is NONE of my business, but...Anything point you would be making after a greeting like this has absolutely no chance of being heard.

  7. #57
    Inactive Member juanexpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    228
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nothing, shedder. It?s simple:
    You don?t like it. I like it.
    You wont be my enemy by this.
    Are oppinions and tastes. That?s all.

    Bye.

  8. #58
    Inactive Member juanexpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    228
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree: KC is not at the level of the many super-drummers we know , but his playing keeps me listening-watching the entire tune. This thing sometimes not happen to me with some GREATS. The same good thing with Dave Dicenso or Gary Novak, specially WATCHING THEM.

    By the way, Would you tell me where some video clips can be found with Gary Novak?

    It?s great to be part of this forum. YOU ANNOUNCE A NEW WEBSITE (KEITH CARLCOCK) and IT TAKE US TO 60 OPPINIONS.

    Bye friends.

  9. #59
    Inactive Member Nikk's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2001
    Posts
    307
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dunno, Ed Soph is pretty much a jazz drummer. Perhaps he is merely a bit rusty playing-wise from his ridiculous teaching schedule at UNT. Not just any old schmo gets the Woody Herman gig.

    I personally think (and maybe this is foolish) that people dislike Keith because of the apparent power he seems to have over the commercial drumming community as of late. Every magazine, drum manufacturer, and artist wants association with him. It seems easy for those of us who have been shedding away for years, developing that perfect left hand and solo vamps in 21/16 to be a bit jealous of this young cat with boy-band looks who's landing these serious gigs. So yeah, his left hand is a little goofy looking and his shoulders look stiff. The fact is, however, that the dude is a virtual groove machine. His time feel is undeniable. In my opinion, it's terribly foolish to get wrapped up in how his technique looks when he plays. HIS TECHNIQUE SERVES THE MUSIC HE PLAYS. PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN WITH YOUR EYES.

    "Technique for technique alone--forget it. If you can't use it musically--if you're just going to machine-gun everyone to death--that's not it."

    --Morello (Modern Drummer November 1986)

  10. #60
    Inactive Member no_bells's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Weckl studied with Soph when he was at U. of Bridgeport.

    SDK, I hear what you are saying about being professionally well rounded but for me I'll take creative individuality any day of the week. BB King or Bootsy Collins most likely are not able to solo over Giant Steps at 400bpm but that to me does'nt mean they are'nt in the "great" category. Have we ever heard about Allan Holdsworth doing a Broadway musical? He's said himself that he can't sightread well.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •